Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Misadventure on the subway!!!

There will be no pictures with this posting. I was in no condition to record the event. (I being Anna-Marie)
Yesterday was a beautiful hot day. The work was done early and my missionary friend needed to go to the market to get a couple more Christmas gifts so I volunteered to go with her so her husband could stay and man the office. We quickly grabbed a bus and then transferred to the subway. We noticed that 2 young men gave us their seats. At the next stop an elderly women boarded and another young man got up and gave her his seat. It was obvious to us two missionaries that we were now in the category of little old ladies who were given seats. Not a bad deal actually.
We got our shopping done in rag time. I noticed that I was feeling very hot and that my cheeks were quite flushed. But it was time to go home so we descended into the subway and boarded the subway home. It was crowded with young moms and no one offered a seat at this time. Perhaps we looked younger to this group. We stood holding a pole and away we went with hot air blowing around us. I began to feel strange and by the time we were 2 stops from our exit I was exerting great effort to stay focused on my friend and the conversation. I remember Salvador stop and thinking great only 2 more stops. We came to Manuel Monte and I was really hanging on but noticed that I couldn't follow my friends conversation. The next thing I remember is opening my eyes and looking in the faces of about 5 Latinos who were exhibiting great care and concern. One man had elevated my legs, a women was making sure my dress covered by legs, another was holding my hand. I felt no fear only confusion and comfort. My friend started calling my name. After a few moments, a young man lifted me to my feet. By this time we had passed our exit so an effort was made to get me off the subway at the next exit. The young man and his girlfriend literally scooped me up and exited with me and my friend. The young man went to get the guards who came immediately and my friend in broken Spanish told them not to call an ambulance as I had only fainted from the heat. I had the presence of mind to thank my helpers in Spanish!! They embraced and kissed us both good bye. That is a lovely S. American custom.
The guards, two strong men, got on either side of me and took me up the long stairway out of the subway and turned me over to a female guard who took me to a restroom. Interestingly, she had to unlock two doors to get to the restroom which is typical South American style. How can such loving people be so concerned about locking everything up?
Once out of the subway we went to a street cafe and got something for me to drink and some toast. Again, the waiter exhibited care and concern for my obvious state of paleness and weakness. After a short break we grabbed a cab home. The cab driver was looking at me anxiously and drove as carefully as possible to keep me from getting dizzy again. You have to love these people! What great and kind hearts. I am on the mend but unfortunately I sprained my ankle as I fell to the floor and today I am still mildly dizzy and queasy. We are among friends here. Some we know and others we don't. What an experience. Now I must remember to always wear a hat at mid day in South America.

No comments: