Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 4th A Winter Holiday!

We had the pleasure of celebrating the 4th of July in a foreign country. We Norte Americanos gathered for sloppy joes and potato salad and swapped patriotic stories. Our group leader, Elder Benson dressed for the occasion.


We are not so self centered that we don't appreciate the fact that not everyone celebrates the 4th. Our Canadian brothers and sisters came dressed for the occasion. Vecinos is Spanish for neighbors.

President Ted Lyon, is the president of the Santiago Temple. He is a retired Spanish literature professor. He recited from memory Patrick Henry's famous "give me liberty or give me death" speech. It impressed and touched us all.

Our fair city is putting on its winter finery. It is cold at night and our apartments are very uncomfortable. I now wear long underwear and am thinking about getting a night cap.

This picture of the Andes was taken from our bedroom window. I will miss this when I leave but sometimes our bedroom feels like the Andes look. BRRRRRR


We spent the actual 4th of July at the US Embassy enjoying a celebration. We needed our passports to get in and had to go through a security check like at the airport.

There was a flag raising ceremony. The thing I loved about this experience was that it was all in my beloved English. I have been longed to hear my own language in public settings. It was a treat.
And of course, we were thrilled to meet the Obamas and enjoy the day with them. I will never forget the 4th of July in Santiago, Chile.









No comments: